Athlete of the Future: Kalyx Lara

Kalyx Lara glides through the water, darting down the pool with the precision and speed of a torpedo. Approaching the goal, he calls for the ball, receiving a precise pass from his teammate. Now, he sets his sights on the net, attacking his defender with a flurry of fakes. With his defender properly deceived, he winds back and fires a strike, flying past the outstretched hands of the goalie and smacking the back net.

Freshman Kalyx Lara has undoubtedly made a name for himself on the boys water polo team, with his future in the sport looking exceptionally bright. A freshman on varsity, his offensive prowess is nothing short of intimidating. As the start of league games draws near, Lara has seamlessly integrated himself into the varsity team, contributing significantly to their impressive 7-3 record thus far.

What really sets Lara apart is his dynamic and versatile playing style. He’s equally comfortable while playing on either side of the pool, possessing a remarkable ability to quickly adapt his approach mid-game in order to counter the opponent’s strategies and complement the team’s game plan. Crafty and resourceful, he excels in one-on-one situations, often attacking defenders with his clever, shifty moves.

Tactical awareness is another strong suit in Lara’s arsenal. He has an uncanny ability to read the pool. He naturally identifies advantages and pinpoints exactly where the ball needs to be to exploit those openings. His aptitude to see the bigger picture and act accordingly has consistently been a game-changer for his team.

Team captain senior Teddy Rountree-Shtulman was quick to praise Lara. He highlighted Lara’s impressive scoring ability and pinpoint shooting accuracy. Rountree-Shtulman said, “He is a chill dude with a wicked shot and keeps us all cool and confident.”

Lara recently scored five goals in Poly’s victory over Temple City. And in Poly’s recent nail-biting 14-12 win against rival San Marino, Lara demonstrated his reliability by scoring a pivotal goal when it mattered most.

However, Lara’s contributions to the team extend beyond the scoreboard as he instills a sense of calm and confidence in his teammates. His dependability is a hallmark of his character. Junior William Kim noted, “He brings a special energy to all of the practices and games and is really someone people can rely on.”

As just a freshman, Lara has had a significant impact on the team. By coming up big when it matters most, being an all around reliable player, and a superb teammate, he has already sent waves rippling throughout the Poly water polo program.

Lara looks to build on his accomplishments thus far and further influence the season as it continues. Through his quick-witted and inventive playstyle, he has a promising water polo career going into his next three years at Poly.