Athlete of the Issue: Jerry Fu

Melody Huang

The ball is placed on the tee. The clubface accelerates down and bam. The ball soars through the air 310 yards right into the middle of the fairway. Perfect.

Who hit that ball? Junior golfer Jerry Fu. Fu has been playing golf for nine years and has racked up many achievements in the sport. At Poly, Fu has been on the golf team for three years and has grown into a very consistent golfer.

According to Stitch Golf, the average score for a man playing nine holes is 45 strokes — which Fu’s average breaks by six strokes — and the average score for a man playing 18 holes is 95, which Fu’s average of 78 breaks by a staggering 17 strokes. This score is about seven strokes away from what the average professional PGA golfer hits, 71.

Fu’s impressive scores did not just show up out of nowhere; he put in the work to earn them. Outside of Poly’s practices, Fu practices golf for one to two hours every weekday and two to three hours during the weekends. Not only does he improve his game at the driving range, but he also regularly goes to the gym during the week to build strength and stamina. His work ethic is inspired by the legendary golfer Tiger Woods, whom Fu admires for his determination to win every tournament and his technically sound swing.

When asked which part of Fu’s game is the best, head coach Dale Rasmussen said, “Jerry’s very strong in all aspects of the game.”

Teammate Cici Liu, a sophomore, said, “As a golfer, I would describe him as a very confident player, especially when it comes to putting, saving pars, and clutching birdies.”

The golf team consists of only three people this season, Fu included. His other teammates, Liu and junior Annabelle Chan, appreciate Fu’s encouragement.

“Jerry’s been really supportive throughout my high school golf journey so far. Despite the size of the team this year, he remains committed to each match and consistently cheers me on,” said Liu.

Chan added, “At every match, Jerry has an optimistic mindset and boosts the team’s confidence. Jerry always has a smile on his face regardless of his performance. He has improved so much as he continues to refine his course management skills.”

Outside of Poly, Fu has been a member of the Southern California Professional Golfers Association of America for five years.Throughout this time playing the sport, he has had many successful tournaments, such as winning the Alhambra Summer Championship in 2023 with 72 strokes.

It is clear that all Fu’s hard work and dedication to the sport have allowed him to achieve impressive scores both with Poly and outside of school. Next year in his final year at Poly, Fu’s consistent work ethic and continuous growth will without a doubt bring more success for the Poly golf team.