The Student News Site of Polytechnic School

The Paw Print

The Paw Print

The Paw Print

Athlete of the Future: Catherine McFarlane

Jason Mitchell

Sophomore Catherine McFarlane is a force to be reckoned with. A skilled sprinter and jumper, McFarlane proves an exemplary track and field athlete. McFarlane, who did ballet her entire life until deciding to join track as a freshman looking for competition and team unity, has more than proved herself.

Her speed is no joke. With a time of 27.03 seconds in the 200-meter dash and 1:02 in the 400 meter dash – the fastest times on the girls team by almost 2 seconds – McFarlane is racing towards a successful track career.

McFarlane’s teammates say her success can be attributed to both her natural speed and strategic mindset. Her understanding of the sport allows her to harness her talent in order to reach her full potential. She knows how to time and structure her sprint, using her speed off the starting block to maximize her momentum.

“She has natural talent and her speed is incredible,” sophomore and teammate Mariana Gomez said. “She is able to use her explosiveness to get ahead of her competitors and win.”

McFarlane doesn’t just rely on her natural speed; she is a hard-working athlete who thrives on challenge. Last year, her long jump record was 16 feet, 2.5 inches.

“I have loved attempting to perfect the technique of jumping. Long jump especially has so many little steps that if you skip one, the whole jump is altered. Learning the technique has been so fun and challenging,” McFarlane said.

“She came out this year better than last year so we’re hoping for great things: hopefully we’ll see her move on to CIF prelims and finals. She’s put in the work, so I have no doubt that she will get to that next level,” said head coach Dwayne Miller.

In addition to her improved times, McFarlane also added a new event: the 100-meter dash, which she ran 13.19 seconds, again proving her versatility.

It’s not just her speed that makes her an invaluable team member. Teammates and coaches alike praise her passion and positivity on the track and off it.

“Catherine brings a fun and positive attitude to every meet and practice. Her attitude, effort and eagerness to get better is shown during practice and meets,” Gomez commented.“Her tenacity, determination, and persistence are truly remarkable.”

“Catherine’s strengths are in her ability to gain points for our team in field events but also in her ability to bring the team together. She is sure to come to practice with a smile that lifts spirits and brightens days,” said track co-captain sophmore Hudson Yen.

And she certainly is racking up points. In the second Prep League Cluster meet, McFarlane earned first place in the 400-meter dash and second place in long jump, triple jump and the 200-meter dash.

Her natural talent and hardworking, motivated personality will serve her well as she continues in her Poly track career.

“Catherine is amazing at what she does. I can’t wait to see where track takes her in life,” said freshman Stella Martinez.