Athlete of the Future: Carolyn Wang

Amanda Delgado

Sophomore Carolyn Wang is a star player of Poly’s varsity soccer team whose exceptional talent and unwavering commitment have not only defined her legacy but also elevated the entire team to unprecedented heights.

Wang started soccer at the age of five, playing AYSO for three years before moving to club soccer, which she continues to play at Sporting California Arsenal FC during the high school off-season. On the varsity soccer team, Wang has earned many goals and assists as a winger on the team. This season, she scored three goals in eight games.

At the heart of Wang’s prowess lies an unparalleled mastery of the ball. Her quick footwork and seemingly telepathic connection with the ball make every dribble, pass and shot a spectacle of artistry. It’s not just about scoring goals; it’s about weaving a narrative of excellence on the pitch, one touch at a time.

When asked about Wang’s skill set, sophomore Mariana Gomez commented, “She is a very talented defender and a very versatile player, being able to play defense and offense when her team needs. She is very fast on the wing and her throw-ins are a huge asset to the team.”

What distinguishes Wang is not just her game IQ but her holistic approach to the sport. While her goal-scoring record is impressive, her role as a playmaker is equally noteworthy. Wang’s ability to read and control the flow of the game, deliver precise passes and set up teammates for success make her invaluable to the Panthers. 

Junior Catie Sabbag stated, “Carolyn is not only a superstar with the ball but also a friend on the field. She constantly covers my back. It is truly incredible to see her instincts and awareness of the game.”

Senior Siena Jurgensen added, “I love knowing I can rely on her each and every game. From her overlapping runs to her effortlessly powerful throw-ins, Carolyn truly is a dynamic player that I love playing with.”

Although only a sophomore, Wang is already growing into a leader, evident in how she shoulders responsibilities, inspires confidence and leads by example.

Wang also thrives under pressure. In the most critical moments of a match, when the outcome hangs in the balance, she doesn’t succumb to pressure. Rather, she transforms it into an opportunity to showcase her extraordinary skill, composure and ability to deliver when it matters most.

As the season progresses, Poly fans should head to the pitch to see Wang, not just for the goals she might score or the victories she might secure but for the spectacle of witnessing a fantastic soccer player in action.