The Student News Site of Polytechnic School

The Paw Print

The Paw Print

The Paw Print

Athlete of the Issue Teddy Rountree-Shtulman

Oliver Marks

In the competitive and physically demanding world of boys water polo, one athlete has created waves of excitement among the Poly community and instilled fear in all of his opponents. Enter Teddy Rountree-Shtulman. An elite athlete and a gentleman in and out of the water, Rountree-Shtulman has left an indelible mark on Poly’s boys water polo team as one of this year’s captains. He can play almost every position, although he most often serves as a two-meter defender. This year, he was named Prep League boys water polo Most Valuable Player.

Rountree-Shtulman’s exceptional skills and dedication to the sport of water polo throughout his time at Poly has been demonstrated in each of his games. In the Panthers’ faceoff against the San Marino Titans, Rountree-Shtulman contributed six goals — each of which were instrumental to Poly’s 14-12 victory. And in the team’s first CIF playoff round, he helped propel Poly to a 13-8 victory against Fountain Valley by contributing three goals.

Players and fans of Poly’s water polo team agree that Rountree-Shtulman showcases a rare combination of strength, skill, and confidence. Rountree-Shtulman’s ability to seamlessly navigate the water, find unexpected open paths and create shots for teammates has left opponents incapable of guarding him.

Senior Jesse Benitez stated, “Teddy finds a balance between hard work, of which he does a lot, and fun. As a captain, Teddy pushes the team when we need to be pushed, but he also understands that we will all have off days, never failing to brighten those days with a well delivered joke.”

For Rountree-Shtulman, water polo is not just about the stats and goals — it is about bringing contagious energy, fostering collaboration with his teammates and pushing his fellow players to test their limits. On land, he is a role model for underclassmen, proving that success is derived from discipline, and, most importantly, true love for the sport.

“Teddy will lead a group, and you will not even realize it: he is just such a natural leader. He will ensure that you are giggling, grinding and glowing. Teddy has a presence like that of no other,” commented junior Theodore Kratter.

In a sport where teamwork is key to success, Rountree-Shtulman has blended brilliant athleticism with passion, creating the formula that has propelled Poly’s water polo team to new heights, especially when facing tough competition such as Notre Dame and San Marino. Whether it is a crucial defensive maneuver or a game-winning shot, Rountree-Shtulman delivers when it is most needed.

Rountree-Shtulman stands out as a prime example of what it means to be a star athlete not just on the water polo team but within the Poly community. The waves of Rountree-Shtulman’s success are bound to inspire future generations of water polo enthusiasts.