Cross country running laps around the competition

Justin Redick

Following the record-shattering Rosemead competition where five runners broke school records, the cross country team ventured into the highly anticipated Prep League race.

Undoubtedly, the team performed exceptionally well and secured second place, a testament to their dedication. Many students broke their personal records. Sophomore Mariana Gomez placed fourth in the varsity girls competition, with a time of 20:20 alongside junior Catie Sabbag who followed closely with 20:23, and junior Stella Keatley (20:25) rounding up the impressive scoring by placing sixth. Freshman Mila Burt (24:49) and sophomore Sofia Flores-Castro (25:08) also broke personal records and surpassed their goals.

In addition, the varsity boys team delivered an impressive performance, securing fourth place in the Prep League competition while achieving an outstanding seven personal records. Freshman Caiden Kennedy (17:58) and sophomore Marcel Zamora (19:17) achieved notable personal records.

Following the Prep League competition, the girls varsity team single-handedly dominated in the Jimmy Balderas race at the Bell Jeff-Sacred Heart Invitational at Griffith Park on September 30th. Senior Audrey Tomlin (23:30), Sabbag (22:18), freshman Anya Matz (24:10), junior Madeleine Kashkooli (25:23), and Burt (26:35) seized fifth in the entire competition out of nearly 100 contestants with a collective time of 112:46. Tomlin surpassed her previous personal record by a staggering two minutes. The girls’ team as a whole outshined the field, bringing home four glittering medals.

Keatley said, “The team’s strongest [strength] is our continuous support for each other.”

It’s no secret that the Poly cross country team owes a significant part of their success to head coach Rick Caragher, who shared that he witnessed the most growth within the team this year after the lull caused by the pandemic.

“The consistent practices seem to be paying off and they are learning what it means to be a part of something bigger than oneself,” Caragher said.

With just two more meets on the horizon, the cross-country team is gearing up for the final stretch of their season. The team is preparing for their final league meet on Saturday, Oct. 28 at Pierce College, where they will attempt to secure a qualifying spot for CIF. Needless to say, hopes are high for the team to continue to the postseason competitions.