The Student News Site of Polytechnic School

The Paw Print

The Paw Print

The Paw Print

Fall fencers on fire

Jackson Brathwaite

Decked out in full gear and wielding elegant foils in hand, Poly fencers parry attacks and ensure their right of way as they breeze through their season. On Sunday, Oct. 15, the team conducted a glow-in-dark exhibition in Gamble Gym for Poly fencers to bond. In dazzling fashion, several team members lined up against each other and gracefully fenced with mesmerizing glow sticks attached to their foils — just like Padawans. While not an official fencing tournament, the glow-in-the-dark event is one example of how the team maintains their joyful spirit and camaraderie.

Propelling the team as co-captain alongside junior Lyla Pak, junior Emily Yoong said, “Honestly, I feel like our team has been doing a great job. I think it’s a really lovely environment and everyone’s super nice to each other. Our team dynamic is really good, and I have to say I’m really proud of them.”

Freshman Uriel Resendiz, who missed the introductory summer practices, was still able to find a home in Poly’s fencing program. When asked about his experience as a recent addition to the team, Resendiz said, “Although learning everything has been hard, it’s been easy to connect with everyone. The group I’m in has been very kind and helpful. I’ve been able to connect with many seniors and juniors that I’ve never met before, and this has honestly been my favorite sports experience.”

Whether it be through covering the basics or refining their technique, the team’s relentless dedication has shown time and time again. During the recent Southern California Scholastic League Foil #1 at Chaminade High School, Poly demolished the competition with tactful movement and precise attacks. Among the top performers were juniors Max Ismagilov and Benjamin Lee, who placed 12th and 16th, respectively, in the men’s division. Co-captains Lyla Pak and Emily Yoong were ranked in 14th and 18th place in the women’s division. Lee and Pak both fell to the number two seed, but only after upsetting higher-seeded opponents to make it to the round of 16. Ismagilov led the Panthers in the pool round with a 5-1 record, ending up as the 12th-ranked seed in the men’s direct elimination pool out of 54 competitors. Yoong trailed close behind as the 13th-place seed in the women’s direct elimination pool.

Without a doubt (there’s no sitting on the fence on this one), Poly’s fencing team will go far this season.