The Student News Site of Polytechnic School

The Paw Print

The Paw Print

The Paw Print

Mentor, teacher, changemaker: Aquita Winslow bids farewell

Jennifer Godwin-Minto

Whether it be renovating the Library and Learning Commons, coaching Poly Upper School debate teams to national championship victories or helping Poly work towards becoming a more equitable and inclusive school, Dean of Library and Learning Commons Aquita Winslow has contributed immeasurably to the Poly community.

During her twelve years at Poly, Winslow has held numerous positions, including Upper School Director of the Library, 9th/10th Grade Dean, history teacher, Upper School debate team coach, Moot Court coach, Ethics Bowl coach, DEI Committee member and faculty advisor to multiple affinity groups and the student book club.

Across these various positions, Winslow has touched the hearts of her students and colleagues with her genuine caring nature and desire for everyone’s voices to be heard.

“It has been so incredible to learn about her passion for reading after she has supported me in so many of my own passions,” shared book club president Melody Huang. “I have not only learned how to run a book club from her, but she has taught me so many life lessons and given me so many moments of laughter.”

“I love her for her kindness, openness and vulnerability,” shared 10th Grade Dean Cynthia Crass, who worked alongside Winslow as 9th/10th Grade Dean for three years. “She has been a great resource for the whole school and especially with DEI work. She was always willing to put in the time, energy and effort.”

Winslow has been an integral member of the DEI committee during her time at Poly. As the faculty advisor of three affinity groups — the Black Student Union (BSU), Student Leadership in Inclusion, Diversity and Equity council and the Women of Color Affinity — she helped facilitate the Black History Month assemblies and provided opportunities for minority students to express their voices.

Winslow moves on from her role at Poly to pursue DEI work at Phillips Academy Andover as the school’s new Dean of the Office of Community and Multicultural Development.

“I want to thank Poly for the experiences that I’ve had,” said Winslow. “I’ve grown a lot as a person, and I have appreciated the ways in which I’ve grown. But I also want to say that I think Poly can do better.

I don’t think Poly always thinks about its impacts on students of color, and I think that Poly needs to be intentional about our DEI work. That work is extremely hard but also very important. I think Poly needs to do better for everyone.”

Several students noted Winslow’s significant influence on their lives.

Senior and Moot Court co-leader Lily Gillam shared, “Beyond being an educator, she has become a mentor to so many. She has taught students how to be advocates for what they care about and be proud to take up space. She brings immense joy and love to the Poly community but her lasting powerful impact on students and teachers alike is sure to keep her spirit alive at Poly.”

“There are no words in the world that could describe my love and appreciation for everything that she has taught me,” said Huang. “While I am absolutely devastated to see her go, I know that this is nowhere near the end. I am so excited to watch her flourish in a new environment where she can embark on new endeavors, all while her legacy lives on in the Poly community.”