The Student News Site of Polytechnic School

The Paw Print

The Paw Print

The Paw Print

Faculty farewell: Jared Christensen

Annabelle Chan

After three years of cultivating a challenging yet supportive environment in his classes, Upper School History teacher Jared Christensen will bid Poly farewell this June. Christensen arrived at Poly in 2021, shortly after obtaining his masters degree in Buddhist Studies from Harvard Divinity School. He has used his expertise in theology to improve the freshmen World Religions curriculum, specifically contributing to the new Indigenous Religions unit. He has also taught Perspectives on Modern World History and East Asian Religion and Philosophy. Christensen’s students will miss his dedication to teaching and passion for the study of religion. “He creates a great environment for students to speak their mind,” shared freshman Devi Cook, a student in his World Religions class. Christensen will miss the day-to-day experiences of teaching. “There’s something to be said for how tremendously rewarding it is on the daily basis,” he reflected. “I considered Poly my home for these three years, and it’s a community that lasts and stays with you because we’re so cohesive.” Christensen also appreciated the support of his colleagues when he first arrived at Poly. “I was welcomed into the community and mentored by some of the wonderful faculty here,” cited Christensen. This year, Christensen also oversaw the Model United Nations team as its faculty advisor, leading the students to the annual Berkeley conference in March. After leaving Poly, Christensen plans to start a business with his husband. “This decision is about making an important change in my life,” he said. “Looking ahead, I want to leverage some skills and experiences and just try something new.” The Poly community wishes him well as he begins an exciting new chapter.