CaseOh’s impact on body positivity

Phoebe Cho

“You’re built like the Michelin man.” “NLE whopper.” “Spiderman: Far From Healthy.” “6 feet wide.” Every day, when Case Baker — better known as CaseOh — turns on his streams for thousands to watch, he receives hundreds of messages about his weight and appearance. As he plays a variety of video games to entertain his viewers, PlayStation messages pour in, making fun of his size. While some people may laugh at the sinister comments, the jokes about CaseOh are reflective of the body shaming inherent in streaming culture, which CaseOh has begun to change.

CaseOh began streaming video games on Twitch, an online streaming platform, in September of 2022. Since then, he’s had a meteoric rise to the top, averaging more than 50,000 viewers per stream less than two years later. Throughout his rise, viewers have constantly pointed out his weight, making fun of him during every stream. Yet, despite the hate he receives, CaseOh has continued to stream, averaging more than four hours a day for the past month.

Before CaseOh’s rise, a void existed in the category of plus-size streamers. While there were some, none as famous as CaseOh ever addressed their weight in the direct manner CaseOh has. CaseOh has faced the messages head-on and hasn’t let them affect him. In a widely-viewed interview with Jynxzi, another popular Twitch streamer, CaseOh addressed the rude and inconsiderate messages he receives on a daily basis.

“A fat joke would never get to me,” he said, showing that he feels comfortable in his body.

This self-acceptance is so important to have and showcase in the streaming industry. His comfort shows his viewers that they don’t have to feel ashamed of plus-size bodies, conveying that all bodies are beautiful. CaseOh displays to his fans that there’s nothing wrong with being plus-size and that you should love yourself no matter your weight. CaseOh’s vibrant energy, roaring laugh and entertaining streams display that you shouldn’t let your size stop you from chasing your dreams and being yourself.

CaseOh’s streams have had a much bigger impact than other streamers by teaching young fans across the world that their body size doesn’t define who they are. His streams have spread body positivity in a space once dominated by widespread fatphobia; however, there is still much work to be done. The insensitive comments that CaseOh receives daily are bannable offenses, and the moderators in his Twitch chat should treat them as such. The best way to stop the bullying is to ban the people who spread it, sending a clear message that any fatphobic comments will not be tolerated. Already, however, CaseOh has inspired hundreds of thousands of viewers and propagated a valuable lesson that everyone should learn.