The Student News Site of Polytechnic School

The Paw Print

The Paw Print

The Paw Print

Faculty Farewell: Wenchi Selzer

Michelle Feynman

After a productive year teaching Mandarin I and II, Upper School Mandarin Teacher Wenchi Selzer will be departing from the Poly community.

Selzer has been known to lead her classes with a welcoming and engaging teaching approach, encouraging students to express themselves and link their personal interests to their studies in the Mandarin language. Her dedication to students and leadership outside the classroom has been widely recognized.

Freshman Samantha Golden, of Ms. Selzer’s Mandarin II class shared, “I think she is a very energetic and amazing teacher. She goes out of her way to do things for us students even if she does not have to. I will miss her energy and how she held our classes.”

Selzer noted the Lunar New Year festival held on Poly’s campus as her most memorable moment of the year. Selzer, along with fellow Mandarin teacher Lois Chung, organized the event and coached each Mandarin class for their performance in front of the Upper School community.

“It’s the certain type of event that will bring everyone in the community together. It doesn’t matter your background or if you’re taking a Mandarin class,” Selzer explained about the festival. “I just looked around and thought, ‘Wow, we pulled it off’.”’

After leaving Poly, Selzer intends to resume teaching at her former school, where she had previously established their Mandarin program. The Poly community expresses gratitude for her unwavering dedication as both a teacher and a mentor in her year here.